Friday 4 November 2011

Fancy Fingers and Lady Gardens

Not a day goes by without another #BuenosAiresWoe. This time, entirely self-induced. I lost my debit card. Well, actually, I realise now I paid for those earrings with it last Friday and never took it back from the shop assistant. #Schoolgirlerror...

It turns out my bank can't post my new card out to Argentina because my address is still in England, so I'm one card down for another month or so until I go home for Christmas. Doh!

In other news, I'm long overdue a bikini wax and, incredibly, Steel Drama Queen knows a British girl in Buenos Aires who can do the job. With a business ingeniously called Fancy Fingers and Lady Gardens, she's a gorgeous, bubbly, bright English chick who does all manner of waxing and grooming for ex-pats and locals alike.

I hotfoot it to her temporary salon in the loft of her Palermo apartment and we banter like true Brits for the next 30 mins or so, while I whip off my undercrackers for her to do the honours. Miss Lady Gardens, it turns out, is also a long-sufferer of the Argentine boyfriend and regales me with tales of jealousy and possessiveness until it's time for me to go.

I head to Don Zoilo, a parrilla restaurant full of locals on Luis Viale with Honorio Pueyrredón to meet the news bureau for a special dinner. The restaurant is simple and gives the real local experience. My Argentine workmate introduces me to a starter dish called molleja. Despite the fact that mollejas are actually part of the neck or throat of the cow, I find them delicious - fatty, yes, but mouthwatering. After an enormous portion of steak, plenty of red win and some incredible-tasting chorizo, I head home. People eat way too late in this country and I'm exhausted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment