Friday 21 October 2011

First Taste of Buenos Aires Nightlife

Last night it was time for my first real taste of Buenos Aires nightlife. 

It was a school night, of course, so we couldn't go too crazy, but I arranged to meet my new British BFF, Steel Drama Queen, across the traintracks in Palermo Soho. Well, not quite Palermo Soho actually - just south of the tracks in what felt like a very dodgy area along Godoy Cruz street. We met on the corner of Godoy Cruz and Paraguay, outside a restaurant/cocktail bar called Restaurant Godoy.

It turned out, however, that the restaurant didn't open for another hour or so, so we wandered around the neighbourhood (which turned out to be very dark and dodgy indeed, though we survived). We ended up at a little café with fresh bread and cheeses. Steel Drama Queen, it turns out, likes to order champagne by the glass, so we had one of those each and then walked back to Restaurant Godoy.

The place was pretty chic. Outside was a wooden varanda with trendy lights and places to sit, and inside was a long bar with oodles of bottles of liquor, and a large seating area with round booths and high tables. Although the place was empty at 9:30pm, we were told it was booked out and we could only be seated at the bar, so we did as we were told and took our place on some bar stools.

Within the next hour, the place filled up with a bizarre mix of people my parents' age, dressed in people my age's clothing. We felt a bit out of place, to be honest.

The food was pretty standard and the service a little below standard but we kept ourselves amused by people-watching the clientele. The party atmosphere was just starting to kick in at about midnight and, had it not been a school night, I'm sure we'd have stayed for a dance, but we ordered a taxi and went on our way. 

Steel Drama Queen has a crazy, and I mean crazy Argentine boyfriend.  She tells me all Argentine men are like this. He calls her every half hour, asking where she is. He is not happy that she has come out with me but he "let her come" anyway. He doesn't let her even speak to other guys. He is insanely jealous. They have raging rows every day. But he is hot. So she stays with him.

Ah, thank god I have the Irishman...

In other news, my boiler has broken. I stupidly turned it off because of a problem with my tap, and now it won't switch back on again for love nor money, so I can't have a hot shower. I am loathe to stick my hand into a naked flame with a giant match, like I have to do with the oven, so I think I'll wait until my neighbour can come around.



0 comments:

Post a Comment