Saturday 15 October 2011

The I.T. Crowd

My neighbour took me last night to a party at one of her friends' houses in San Telmo, a cool neighbourhood the other side of the Microcentro from Palermo. We picked up a British friend of hers, a fellow former journalist, on the way. 

Immediately on arrival at the party, I was asked to take my boots off to spare the Norwegian host's wooden floors. As I did so, I revealed my bright pink Percy Pig socks, ensuring any cool image I may have mistakenly portrayed up to that point went straight out the window.

The party was a bit of an eye-opener. There were about 20 people, at least 15 of them non-Argentine, and almost all of them have their own start-up companies. Most of the guys were programmers and they work from their own apartments, so once a week they all get together in one of their apartments and work together, sharing lunch and conversation to create an office-like atmosphere. I thought this was really cool as there are so many ex-pats in Buenos Aires but they get rather lonely working alone. I don't have that problem, working in a decent-sized office, but I love the idea of working from my flat on my laptop (if only it had air conditioning).

The British guy told me all about the sailing course he'd done in Buenos Aires and said I should get involved, and I spent some time talking to an Italian guy with a translation business. It's great to meet a few new people.

Some of the party-goers headed on to a nightclub at about 2am but I chose to hit the hay and got a taxi back with a couple of people. Seeing the city at night was pretty cool.

0 comments:

Post a Comment