Wednesday 5 October 2011

São Paulo Pitstop

Almost there!

After the 11-hour flight from London to São Paulo, there's only a four-hour wait til my connecting flight to Buenos Aires. It's weird being back in Guarulhos airport. I left Brazil from this very airport almost three years ago and everything is so familiar - the accents, the clothes people wear, the way they say "Do you want sugar or sweetener with that?" - as if there's no option to have neither.

I always hated this airport for its utter lack of anything to do. There is literally one tiny food kiosk with a paltry selection of food, and a couple of extortionate duty free shops. There isn't even a magazine stand. How can a major international airport get away with it?!

Anyway, the thing I just can't believe is how expensive everything is here. I've spent four years covering Brazilian finance so I know all about inflation and the rising Real, but it's not until you experience it as a consumer that you really realise how crazy expensive this city (and country) is. 

I just paid 45 reais for two pães de queijo (cheese bread balls, amazing!), two small bottles of water, a small latté (in a polystyrene cup - we're not talking Starbucks here) and a small plastic cup full of fresh orange juice. 45 reais. That's about 20 British pounds!!!! Are you kidding me?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment