Sunday 16 October 2011

The One Where I Try the Miranda Chicken Salad


My first weekend post-marathon is all about exploring and relaxing, safe in the knowledge that I don't have to run anywhere if I don't want to. So of course, after last night's party, I began the weekend with a long lie-in.

My neighbour has told me about a great indoor organic market so I head there to buy farm-fresh organic eggs, mushrooms, tomato sauce and wine. I store the lot in my fridge because there's somewhere else I want to be.

I go back to Miranda, a restaurant one block from my place, on Costa Rica and Fitz Roy. It's a beautiful day so I take a seat outside in one of the comfy director's chairs with a little wooden table. We're on the street corner so it's a little noisy with traffic, but perfect for people-watching. 

People-watching at Miranda is people-watching the rich. The type of people who come here are American and British ex-pats, Brazilian tourists and fairly rich locals with beautiful clothes, high heels and designer sunglasses. But the atmosphere is so friendly and I feel relaxed even sitting by myself.

Although the restaurant is a parrilla, famous for steak and other meat, I have my eye on the chicken salad, which my British landlord has told me is to die for. I can't imagine what can be so amazing about a chicken salad, but I order the Ensalada Jacinta anyway. And when it comes, I understand perfectly. 

The Ensalada Jacinta

At the risk of sounding like a Marks & Spencers advert, the Miranda chicken salad is not just any chicken salad. Theirs is a veritable mouthwatering feast fit for a family of four. It includes an enormous bed of lettuce topped with grilled chicken breasts, red peppers, two large grilled wheels of pumpkin, parmesan cheese, sundried tomatoes, sunflower seeds and an incredibly sumptuous mustard vinaigrette. I am literally salivating just looking at this picture. Miranda, I will be coming back often. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment